Saturday, November 9, 2013

Evil Dead 2



Alright, so the follow up. Here we go:

The film actually retcons the first one by stating it was only Ash and his girlfriend. It then continues where the first one ended, with Ash struggling to survive the Deadites, and the cabin's real owners showing up.

Going into this series, I knew there was a slant into the humorous as the series went on. As such, I was expecting something much funnier movie. And it was, for the first half. But then the second half, when the others show up, it becomes more straight. Never the complete horror of the first movie, but a lot of the humor seems to be sucked out.

I read a theory that Ash lost his mind, and I can see that. The final scene before the others show up is everything in the cabin laughing, and Ash laughing madly with them. I think they were implying Ash was hallucinating a lot before meeting others that grounded him more in reality.

I was cringing when the newcomers though Ash was a murderer, because I've seen that in too many horror films (A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th Part VI, Leprechaun 2), but thankfully the truth comes out pretty quick.

Now, the first humor half I loved. Ash's hand, his undead girlfriend, the laughing stuff, was the most memorable part. The second half was okay, but I don't really remember a whole lot about it.

The ends with a lead in to Army of Darkness, which I really want to see. Maybe next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment