Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Different Seasons




I might have finished the audiobook of The Running Man first, but this was the first King book I made any real progress on. It's a collection of four novellas written in between knocking out big novels.



Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption (Hope Springs Eternal): Yeah... seen the movie? Then you've read the novella. Sure, there are some differences (Red is a white Irishman, Tommy lives, there are several wardens and captains instead of just Norton and Hardly) but it was mostly untouched in adaptation.


Apt Pupil (Summer of Corruption) It's funny that out of the three novellas that got movies, the one I liked the most was the least known adaptation. It involves a young boy learning his neighbor is a former Nazi officer and blackmailing him into learning about the Holocaust. And really, I should stop there. Because I cannot summarize this story in a way that does it justice. It simply needs to be read.


I saw the movie during Christmas break. I'm going to review it here since not much changed, but what did made it obvious why the movie isn't well known. Essentially, it had to be toned down, so the psychological nature of it wasn't as effective. Oh well.


The Body (Fall From Innocence): The basis for the movie Stand By Me, it focuses on four boys going on a hike to see a dead boy's corpse. I was left wondering what the point was. I may need to look through it again.


The Breathing Method (Winter of Discontent): Okay.. this was weird. It starts with a man being invited to visit a club that might be an Eldritch Location, then segues into another story about a doctor in the Thirties advising a pregnant woman on her health habits. This is closer to the horror that King usually write, but I still don't get why it was a story in a story.

Yes, I liked Different Seasons, but I think the first half is much better than the second half.

No comments:

Post a Comment