Sunday, January 26, 2014

Horror: Do Not Watch Alone

This was a collection of public domain horror movies. I got it because it had three movies I wanted to see: Night of the Living Dead, Count Dracula and his Vampire Brides, and The Last Man on Earth. It's fifteen movies, and while there's some gems, most of them are bad, bad, bad.

Night of the Living Dead
Love it. It's the kind of movie I enjoy: a very basic plot that focuses on the characters. It's just a group of characters trying to survive. Just go see it, it has stood the test of time.

House on Haunted Hill
Boy, this dragged. It's scary, but in a "jump out and scare you" kind of way. It's people talking, and I was never really invested in the plot. I think they were going for ambiguity on whether the house was haunted, but I never bought it. Not bad, but not good.

Carnival of Souls
It was the only movie that really scared me, at least to the point where I was kind of jumpy after watching it, but it was pretty predictable. I guess it was original in the 1920s, but if you can't guess the endings, you don't watch a lot of movies. Still, it was pretty much like a long Twilight Zone episode. Kind of slow, but in this case it kept me guessing well enough.

I Bury The Living
You'd be forgiving for thinking this is the shock film, but it's actually a very slow mystery. The plot is this man has to work at a funeral home that has a big map. Plots pinned with white pins are paid for, black pins are full. He finds that when a black pin is put where a white pin is supposed to be, that person dies. Really, I loved this one. See it.

Blood Tide
Boring. It's supposed to be about a monster from underwater attacking a coastal town, but the monster shows up so little I can't even remember what it looks like. Skip it.

Fangs of the Living Dead
Something about a vampire family. Didn't hold my interest.

Bloody Pit of Horror
Um... wow. Uh... a crazy guy tortures people. Yeah... Boy, the lip syncing was bad.

The Undertaker and His Pals
This seems to be a comedy movie with a horrific plot. There's mostly slapstick here, but sometimes the plot just misses. Like, the two restaurant worker want to kill the Undertaker for messing up, but as soon as one of them gets in trouble, suddenly he's the one that the other two want to kill. What? Interesting, but I don't think I'll see it again.

Count Dracula and his Vampire Brides
This is listed where Nightmare Castle was on the back of the DVD, which shows how little those putting it together cared. Part of the Hammer series starring Christopher Lee, it doesn't seem like a Dracula movie. Dracula seems like an evil CEO and he wants to kill off humanity... ugh. If that sounds like an interesting movie, it's not. Boring.

Dementia 13
Don't remember it.

Nightmare Castle
Don't remember it either.

The Last Man on Earth
Ever see I Am Legend? Yeah, this was the first adaptation, and it's much better than Will Smith's version. Vincent Prince plays a man who might be becoming a monster through trying to survive. And that scene where he sees his transformed wife? Creepy! Loved it.

The Pyx
Again, so bland and boring I can't remember anything about it.

Dominique is Dead
The same

The Ghost
I swear, this was ripped off a bad VHS recording. I saw the static. And that's the most remarkable thing about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment